You're from Arkansas?
Having lived in Arkansas for a decade I will vouch for these. It is a way of life and being from "Up
There" I had to blend as best I could.
HOW YOU CAN TELL
- You visit the Arkansas State Fair mainly to see your neighbor’s prize chicken.
- You’ve been invited to or had a "bunkin’ party".
- You carry jumper cables in your car.
- You’d rather be Number One in football than Number One in education.
- You think that "recycling" means riding your bike down the same old path.
- Your school classes were canceled because of cold, heat, a tornado, hunting, or a livestock show.
- "Down South" means Louisiana.
- Your idea of a traffic jam is ten cars waitin’ to pass a tractor on the highway.
- You have no problem spelling or pronouncin’ "Ouachita" or
- You’ve seen all the biggest bands…ten years after their last hit.
- Your idea of a really great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun and comes with cole slaw
- You say “catty-wampus” and “tumped over.”
- You see people wearing bib overalls at funerals.
- You eat at Senor Tequilas for atmosphere and Lolita’s Tex-Mex for
- You say, “I voted for Clinton to get him out of the state.”
- You measure distance in minutes.
- You know the difference between a deer dog, a duck dog, and a coon dog by the way they bark.
- You know a bunch of people who have hit a deer.
- You or your neighbors have more hunting dogs than you have family members.
- Goin’ on “vacation” means headin’ through Harrison on the way to
- You’ve never met any celebrities.
- You know a few that have also hit a coyote.
- You have your own secret bbq sauce.
- You put security lights on your house and your garage and leave both of them unlocked.
- You’ve seen the Boggy Creek Monster, or it has at least taken your
chickens, cattle, dogs or livestock.
- Pulaski County is considered a foreign or exotic place.
- You know what Toad Suck and Booger Holler are.
- You know how to snipe hunt.
- You faithfully drink Pepsi, Mt. Dew, or Dr. Pepper every day of your life.
- When asked how your trip to any foreign, exotic place was you say, “It was different.”
- Stores don’t have bags or carts…they have sacks and buggies.
- You think orange barrels are really part of the interstate system.
- Your traditional Thanksgiving dinner is a deep-fried turkey.
- You see “No Hunting” signs are riddled with bullet holes.
- You’ve ridden the school bus for an hour…each way.
- You think “Animal House” is the training film for incoming athletes at the University of
- Everyone you think of as a “liberal” is either Methodist or Catholic.
- You’ve ever had to switch from “Heat” to “A/C” in the same day.
- You think that Bill Clinton is a lyin’, cheatin’ sumbitch, but you’d
still vote for him again in a heartbeat because he’s OUR lyin’ cheatin’ sumbitch.
- You’ve “offered” someone an “ass-whoopin’.”
- You end your sentences with a preposition, for example, “Where’s my coat at?”….
“What’s that made out of?”
- The three food groups are Velveeta, pork rinds and a six-pack.
- All the festivals around the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, bricks, or lumber.
- When you give directions they include “over yonder”, “down the road a piece” and
- You drink sweet iced tea out of a sports bottle.
- You think ethanol makes your truck run a lot better.
- You’re not commitment-phobic: you love God, guns, and football.
- You’d rather have a Budweiser beer museum than a presidential library.
- Priming was your first job - and you know what it means.
- You think pinto beans are nekkid without hamhocks, cornbread, and buttermilk.
- When the forecast calls for an inch of snow, you run out with all the other crazies to stand in line for
three hours to buy a month’s worth of groceries.
- Sweet milk and torn up biscuits in a glass is your favorite dessert.
- You see a car running in the parking lot at the store with no one in it no matter what time of the year.
- You think bagels are nothing but a cruel doughnut joke invented by some Yankee!
- You own three cars and one license plate.
If youget these jokes feel free to pass them on to other friends from Arkansas.
Compiled and edited by Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated March 2018.
Arkansas Fun Facts and Trivia