BOB'S GARAGE

Watchin Your Weight and Intake

Intake and Carb choice

The intake / carb configuration was initially a bit of a problem but nothing unusual. The plan of reusing a 70 cast iron intake and carb pair were thwarted by some intake config issues with the later model 86 heads. So the solution was to keep the 86 cast iron intake and transplant a two barrel Holley R-4778 onto it.

Intake and Carb choice

While the 86 intake was from a fuelie configed motor it turns out that the mount base pattern is the same as a two barrel Ford carb. Simple swap. The EGR ports will be disabled with a fabbed plate and a pancaked gasket.

The decision to keep the 86 cast intake was made for us actually. Due to [A] the head configuration differences [B] we don't really need to / want to drop any more weight off the front end and [C] it fits just fine and belongs. No biggie. Some screw plugs for the extra ports and a fabbed plate to disable the EGR channels and we can mount a Holley 4778 two barrel right on. The fsctory cast iron intake manifold went out to be blasted and will end up being painted. No chrome or aluminum! Trying for stealth mode here.


Blasted and Painted

I had a friend that was nice enough to blast the intake for me. After he got done clearing away all the bad stuff and returning it to me we needed to put a finish on it. Some basic prep and cleaning was followed by a quick sweep with some engine primer. This got it ready for Cast Blast colored top coat It came out PRIMO!


Hex plugs, Gaskets and Adapter Plate

The next project was to pattern and fab up an intermediate plate which will block off the EGR porting on the mount pad. I fabricated an adapter / block off plate to disable the EGR feed on the 83 intake carb mount. I used some aluminum flat stock I had in the shop and with a standard 86 base gasket under the adapter plate and a standard Holley base gasket on top and we should be good to go. Using the factory lower mount gasket as a pattern it was just a tedious bit of cutting, filing and drilling to duplicate it. But went pretty fast.

Armed with a handfull of hex block off plugs I proceeded to fill the various unused holes in the intake. There were a few but I got them all.